Fair PharmaCare

About Fair PharmaCare

The British Columbia provincial government has recently announced changes to the PharmaCare Plan to implement a deductible based on family income rather than the current $1000 deductible.

Many residents of BC do not realize that after the first $1000 of drug expenses, PharmaCare pays 70% of the remaining expenses and residents pay only 30%. For employees with a benefit plan, they have been able to claim the first $1000 and then the remaining 30%, under their Extended Health plan and rarely think about PharmaCare paying a portion.

Many others rarely have drug expenses and do not realize that PharmaCare IS for everyone and should they suffer a serious illness in their future, they could have PharmaCare assisting them with their drug costs.

With the implementation of Fair PharmaCare, all BC residents must now APPLY to have PharmaCare coverage and the deductible will be based on family income. Failure to apply will mean that PharmaCare will apply a $10,000 deductible and not pay any portion until $10,000 of drug expenses are met.

Everyone (not just low-income people and seniors) should be registering for the new PharmaCare plan. The deadline to register was May 1, 2003, however, if you haven’t already registered, you can still register after this date and your family’s annual deductible will be adjusted automatically to a level that is based on your family’s net income. If you don’t register, your PharmaCare deductible will be automatically set at $10,000. This means that if you were to find yourself in a situation requiring very high drug costs, you (or your Extended Health plan) will be responsible for the first $10,000.

As this change will have an impact on private health plans, insurance companies have advised that they will cease paying drug benefits at a given threshold, typically between $700 and $1000, unless proof of registration is received – so it is important that everyone registers for PharmaCare.

2 Steps to Register

Step 1: Register for PharmaCare Benefits

To register for PharmaCare benefits, you may:

  • Call 1-800-387-4977 and register over the phone;
  • Visit the Government of BC web site at www.health.gov.bc.ca/pharme to register online; or
  • Download the Fair PharmaCare Registration Form and register by mail.

Step 2: Provide D.A. TOWNLEY with your Registration Number

It is not enough to just register with the Government of BC. To ensure no interruption of payment of your drug claims, D.A. Townley must also have your BC PharmaCare registration number on file.

Please mail, fax, call or email our office with the following information:

  • Name,
  • SIN/ID Number,
  • Group Benefit Plan you belong to,
  • Group Policy Number, and
  • BC PharmaCare Registration Number

NDT Industry Health Benefit Plan

As an eligible member of our benefit plan, you and your family are protected from the high cost of prescription drugs, emergency medical treatment, dental expenses and wage loss when you are disabled and unable to work. The Plan is intended to bring a greater peace of mind and an increased feeling of security to you and your family.

Learn more here.

NDT Industry Pension Plan

As an eligible member of our pension plan, you can take comfort in knowing our pension plan is supporting the founders of our industry and providing a valued source of income for those who helped build this industry to what it is today. The Plan is a multi-employer defined contribution pension plan and all money contributed to the Plan is held in trust on your behalf.

Learn more here.

Training Fund

The QCC and NDTMA jointly administer an industry training fund which reimburses training and certification costs for member technicians. The Training Fund promotes constant education and upgrading of the QCC Members.

Learn more here.

Employer / Contractor Section

See this section for information and instructions on how to remit to the Plan(s) as a signatory contractor or employer.

Learn more here.